"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'" ~Erma Bombeck


Sunday, November 22, 2015

SPECIAL OCCASIONS



LIVE ♥ LAUGH ♥ LOVE

Those are some of my most favorite words...They are written on a coffee cup, a wall hanging, an over-the-door thingy, my cell phone wallpaper, and even embroidered on a pillow!

Yet, I struggle daily to implement them...what do they really mean?

♥ LIVE~to be present in the moment; intentional with affection and attention; to engage in active listening, thoughtful responses, and careful contemplation.  What captures our attention most?  Social media?  Our personal goals?  Self-consciousness?  Self-indulgence?  Or the needs of others?

♥ LAUGH~laughing is an intimate glimpse into what makes one "tick."  What we find humorous is often a reflection of our character, as well.  Do we snicker at the expense of others?  Do we find ourselves guffawing at risque humor?  Can we giggle at our own mistakes and foibles?

♥ LOVE~I Corinthians 13 defines love for us... Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never fails.  Do we struggle with patience?  Are we quick to forgive?  Do we struggle with envy?

If I am honest, I know that I am struggling on a daily basis with these three "L" words.  I am far too easily distracted by the *ding* of a received text.  I am focused on myself and my circumstances far more than on the needs of others, at times. I find myself slogging through a day, rather than truly LIVING!

I don't laugh nearly as much as I could.  Sometimes I allow the weight of the world, or concern over a loved one, or preoccupation with a problem to cloud my vision and steal my JOY! 

My love can be stale and dry at times.  If I have emotion, but not action, it is sentiment and not love.  When I turn into "Momzilla" because someone has forgotten to clean up their mess for the eleventeenth time, it is not LOVE!

But you know what?  There's one more exquisitely lovely word that I am learning to treasure, too:  GRACE!

G: God's
R: Riches
A: At
C: Christ's
E: Expense

Jesus paid it all!  When God looks at me, He sees me as cleansed, righteous, and redeemed BECAUSE OF JESUS!  Grace is the warm fuzzy socks on a cool evening.  It's the cup of hot coffee in the dawn's early light.  It's the squeezy-hug you get from a loved one.

GRACE.  My newest and sweetest friend.  I'm looking forward to growing old with you. And thank you for reminding me that you've been here all along.  I don't want to wait until a special occasion to remember you.  Being alive in Christ is a Special Occasion!





~LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE, and GRACE from my heart to yours! ♥



No comments:

Post a Comment