"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'" ~Erma Bombeck


Thursday, December 17, 2015

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!



This time of year is so full of bombarding busyness and frantic fun.  We love all the special things that go with the holidays...and yet...Guess what next Tuesday is: NOTHING!! For the first time in I-don't-even-remember-how-long, there is NOTHING planned outside of my home! I am so-o-o looking forward to that day on my calendar!  Happy tears, y'all. Happy tears.

Sometimes I rely on my crockpot a little too much.  (Yes, I did dare utter those words!) I love the convenience of a crockpot (or two), but sometimes, there is just no substitute for the luxurious feeling of an oven-crisped slice of roast beast.  This is a fairly simple, low-maintenance, few-ingredient recipe that is busy-mama, hungry-hubby, and kid approved! (Also, it works out well when you're a step away from payday and still have a lovely piece of meat left, but hardly any fresh veggies.) It rates higher on the "gourmet-ish" taste than actual production, and I'm OK with that! ☺


HOLIDAY PORK ROAST (S)



INGREDIENTS:
1 pork shoulder roast
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Dehydrated Chopped Onion
Granulated Garlic or Garlic Powder
Herb Seasoning (I use Kirkland Organic No-Salt Seasoning)
Rosemary
Salt
Pepper
Carrots, celery, potatoes, and/or onions (if desired)

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350.  Line a 9 x 13 glass baking dish with heavy duty aluminum foil.  Scatter baby carrots, celery, potatoes and/or onions on foil to serve as an aromatic meat rack. Place your beautiful roast fat side up.  As this roasts, you'll get a lovely, caramelized crust, as it self-bastes while roasting.  Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle the dehydrated onion flakes, granulated/powdered garlic, herb seasoning (of choice), rosemary, sea salt, and cracked black pepper evenly over the top.  

Roast according to this chart for your size of roast.  Test meat with thermometer.  I waited until it read 162-163 when I pulled it out.  After resting, it climbed to a solid 165 internal temperature, and it was delicious, tender, and juicy!
Pork Shoulder Roast
Olive Oil, Spice and everything nice ☺




Holiday Pork Roast



Serve this succulent roast along with the roasted vegetables and a fresh salad.  Or, you could serve as I did with mashed "fauxtatoes" [cooked, mashed cauliflower, butter, splash of milk of choice or chicken broth, salt, pepper] (Trim Healthy Mama-style), and stuffing for a second side dish option.

THM Mashed "Fauxtatoes" (S) [a.k.a. mashed cauliflower]
Hearts of Romaine, Iceberg, and Butter Lettuce make a wonderful blend

Is it stuffing if you don't stuff something?  Is that when it's called dressing? ☺


It was such a blessing to be able to spend 5 minutes or less of prep on this roast, throw together the side dishes, and still sit down to a roasty-toasty dinner with our family at the end of a busy, snowy day!

~Hearty & Simple Holiday Meals from our Home to Yours!

4 comments:

  1. Seriously another one!? My mouth was literally watering. I have always been intimidated by roasts but am so excited to try this. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're too kind! It really is such a delicious and simple recipe, but has all the flavor and special-ness that would make any holiday table proud. Christmas blessings to you and yours, and ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm. It looks And I don't even love pork roast. :) it gives me hope for future cooking , though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I hope you get a chance to try it! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete